Monday, September 26, 2005

IMBB #19 "I can't believe I ate Vegan"


African potato stew Posted by Picasa

This is my first IMBB event and what a fitting first entry. This event is hosted by Sam over at becksnposh. If you dont know, we're following the Weight Watchers Flex points plan. The plan calls for many, many vegetables and those are for the most part free. I've taken a real liking to sweet potatoes lately and I think, its because for the most part, I've cut out sweets. Sweet potatoes fill the void( well kinda). So, I purused some old cooking lights and came up with this gem.

I made a few changes. Chick peas for the red beans and chuncky PB for the smooth. It was very tasty and filling and so what if I served them with fish taco's?????

African Sweet Potato Stew with Red Beans
From

Vivid colors and fragrant spices are the hallmarks of this thick stew, which is garnished with crunchy peanuts. A squeeze of lime juice at the table brightens the rich, earthy flavors.

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 1/2 cups cooked small red beans
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
6 lime wedges

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add sweet potato and next 10 ingredients (through chiles). Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.

Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add peanut butter; stir well with a whisk. Stir peanut butter mixture into stew. Top with peanuts; serve with lime wedges.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups stew, 1 1/2 teaspoons peanuts, and 1 lime wedge)

writeNutrient();NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 308(26% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 1.5g,mono 4.2g,poly 2.3g); PROTEIN 11.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 64mg; SODIUM 574mg; FIBER 10.2g; IRON 2.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 49.9g



Tagged with: +

8 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

you served them with fish tacos??!!!
that's too funny.
I like the idea of peanu butter and lime in the mix. That sounds kind of tasty!
Thanks very much for taking part in IMBB 19!
Sam

4:18 PM, September 26, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This stew sounds great! Looks liked it's packed with flavor...I also like sweet potatoes very much :)

7:23 AM, September 27, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm..that sounds really good!

I have a slow cooker recipe for something like this, but I've been looking for a regular stove top one! So, I am definitely going to try your version! :)

7:38 AM, September 27, 2005

 
Blogger Dawna said...

The stew reminds me a lot of Mafe, which also features peanuts (or groundnuts, if you've got 'em), although it is often done with red chiles. I love sweet potato - I may give this one a try.

11:54 AM, September 27, 2005

 
Blogger Nic said...

Unusual, but tasty looking. I love sweet potatoes.

9:40 AM, September 28, 2005

 
Blogger Amanda said...

I wish I had of known, I have been mostly vegan since May - no meat Including fish, no dairy, no gluten - I have stacks of recipes! It was hard at first but I ended up really enjoying the challenge.

3:35 PM, September 30, 2005

 
Blogger kickpleat said...

i have a favorite soup recipe that has sweet potatoes, pineapple and peanut butter (crazy but true), so i'm definitely going to be making this stew! thanks for posting.

5:06 PM, October 02, 2005

 
Blogger Jessica "Su Good Sweets" said...

I made African sweet potato soup from All Recipes. Don't know if it's authentic, but it has all my favorite ingredients! It kind of reminds me of sweet curry.

8:31 PM, October 03, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home