Thursday, September 15, 2005

Sugar High Friday #12 Custard/banana maple icecream


making the custard Posted by Picasa

banana maple ice cream Posted by Picasa

I really wanted to participate in my second SHF so a few days ago, I looked up the theme. Since we just started WW, I wondered what I could possibly make so I went to the CL website and typed "custard" in the recipe finder. This was the first recipe that came up. Amazingly, I had everything to make it. I cheated slightly in that I added 2 tbls of toasted pecans. I also added a dash of maple extract. The recipe was simple, you make a custard with 1 cup 2% milk and 2 egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar. I watched mine carefully, but it still curdled slightly. No matter, I pressed on.

Next, you cool the custard over an ice bath, as you can see, I improvised. You then stir in 1/4 cup powdered milk( which I bought at the bulk store because Im always seeing recipes that call for this and a large container is over 6 bucks), another 1/2 cup 2% and 1/2 cup maple syrup and 2 mashed bananas. Chill this for a few hours and then proccess in your ice cream maker. I have the cuisinart ice cream maker that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond using a 20% off coupon. I also added the toasted chopped pecans because they just seemed to go so well with maple.

Thoughts on the finished product. Well, the serving size is 1/2 cup and that was enough. It was very sweet. Next time, I think I'll cut down the syrup a tad and add a drop more extract. All in all, a nice portion control ending to a healthy light meal. Don't forget to check out the roundup of SHF #12, hosted by Elise. You can find it here.

2 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

Yum! Banana maple ice cream sounds sinfully good.

5:30 AM, September 17, 2005

 
Blogger Nic said...

I agree - banana and maple is an amazine combination.

10:04 AM, September 17, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home