Saturday, September 17, 2005

Special weekend breakfast


oven puffed pancake Posted by Picasa

Mmmmm, doesnt this look good? It sure does, especially if you've been existing on oatmeal and cottage cheese all week. Since our neice is here this weekend, I wanted to make a special weekend breakfast. Our previous weekend breakfasts of eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and waffles just wouldnt do. After all, we both feel great and have dropped some weight. So, I turned to my old friend, Cooking Light for some help. I typed in breakfast and eggs and this came up. Rated 5 stars even. As I often do, I changed the recipe. I didnt want to change it too much because I wanted to stay within the 3 points per serving. I cut up one peeled apple and added some cinnamon. I wiped the pan with a little oil, before I added the 1tbls of butter. Now, bare in mind that this is not the dutch baby pancake you'd find at The Original Pancake House. This is a lot thinner, but still, it was very tasty( served with sugar free maple syrup), even if my stomach is still growling.

What's for lunch?


Oven-Puffed Pancake


1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon butter
Powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 425°.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through egg white); stir until moist.

Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Pour batter into pan; cook 1 minute (do not stir). Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. Cut into quarters; serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 141(28% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 2.3g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 5.2g; CHOLESTEROL 64mg; CALCIUM 48mg; SODIUM 222mg; FIBER 0.4g; IRON 0.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 19.9g

3 Comments:

Blogger FoodNinja said...

Sugar Free Maple Syrup.. What.. Why has no one told me... Arrggggg

10:45 AM, September 17, 2005

 
Blogger FoodNinja said...

Oh... I also forgot to tell you about an awsome cook book that I think you would like Dietitians of canada; Cook Great food Not spam I promise

10:55 AM, September 17, 2005

 
Blogger tanvi said...

oh ive been wanting to try dutch babies for a while, but always feel that it would be too heavy/calorie-laden. thanks for sharing this light recipe!

im new to your blog (i came via elise's blog) but im enjoying going through your posts.

8:03 PM, September 21, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home