Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Back to cooking light...


Mango chutney chicken curry  Posted by Picasa

Every day I ask myself the same question, what to make for dinner? Lately, I've been good about preplanning a week at a time, but because I was out of town for a couple days, that wasnt the case today. When I asked my love this morning, what she wanted tonight she said " Pasta". So, off to CL.com I went. I typed in chicken and pasta and up came this dish. I was utterly shocked to find I had everything I needed except fresh mango. No problem because I had a brand spanking new jar of mango chutney waiting to be used. I thought Id just skip the step of making my own. I did make a few more changes too. I didnt want to have 6 servings so I measured out the pasta so I would have 3 cups cooked and figured out the points for that. I did the same with the chicken and the other ingredients. I added 2 kafir lime leaves, used splenda instead of the sugar and threw in a few wayward shrimp I had in the freezer. I also topped with a few cashews. While it looks like we had a lot of food, it was mostly veggies. I've been buying those bagged frozen chicken breasts and after using them for a few months, I'm not impressed( no wonder they are so cheap). I recently got two big bags for 12.98( buy one get one free). When I defrost them, so much liquid comes off of them. I think they are probably about 3 oz uncooked. Anyway, Robin wasnt that impressed with the recipe and either was I. It needed something else. More curry maybe? Maybe the fresh chutney would have been better. If you try it, please let me know.


Curried Chicken Penne with Fresh Mango Chutney

Chutney:
2 cups diced peeled ripe mango (about 2 mangoes)
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt

Chicken:
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste
1 to 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower florets
4 cups hot cooked penne rigate (about 2 cups uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
2 tablespoons chopped green onions (optional)

To prepare chutney, combine first 9 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates and mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.

To prepare chicken, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chicken; sauté 5 minutes. Combine coconut milk and next 4 ingredients (coconut milk through fish sauce), stirring with a whisk. Add coconut mixture to pan; bring to a simmer. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cover and cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chutney and pasta; toss well to combine. Sprinkle with green onions, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 216(18% from fat); FAT 4.3g (sat 1.8g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 20g; CHOLESTEROL 44mg; CALCIUM 52mg; SODIUM 724mg; FIBER 3.6g; IRON 1.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.9g

Cooking Light, JUNE 2004

2 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

With the mangoes in this dish, that's a perfect entry for Stephanie's Tiki Party, if you didn't enter it already (http://thehappysorceress.blogspot.com)

8:58 AM, September 23, 2005

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Randi..it is keeping with the theme!

We'll just serve it in lettuce cups, so it fits in with our 'bite-sized' requirements.

I'm not sure what could have been done to improve it...but maybe after the round-up you'll get lots of suggestions!

10:10 AM, September 23, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home