Saturday, September 10, 2005

Thai curry.......


curry coconut chicken Posted by Picasa

Wow, was this a surprise. I have zero pain tolerance for spicy and for some odd reason I thought thai green curry paste was less spicy than red. No such thing. This was spicy!! Robin and I both said it seemed to mellow out after it sat awhile. I spent all day Friday cooking for both clients and I thought Id have enough food for us too. I had 3 slices of tenderloin left, a few tbls of sauce and a scoop of mashed spuds. Not enough for two, even on Weight watchers. Our neice came over to spend the night so I defrosted some brocoli, ham pasta that I froze last month. She ate that, her mom ate the leftover pork and Robin and I ate this curry. It was fast, easy and I threw in some kafir lime leaves and left out the salt. The fish sauce i have is very salty. I also made jasmine rice instead of cous cous. I didnt have mushrooms so I used some of our garden zucchini. We had a big salad too. I cant find light coconut milk here so I'll have to get a few more cans when I go to Ann Arbor.


Coconut Curried Chicken

Lush coconut milk and sultry green curry paste let you enjoy authentic Thai flavor in this quick entrée. You can use cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp instead of chicken. Just add the shrimp at the end to heat it up.

1 1/2 cups water, divided
2/3 cup uncooked couscous
1 cup light coconut milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
2 teaspoons bottled minced ginger
1 teaspoon green curry paste
2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
1 pound chicken breast tenders
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup prechopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon lime juice
Lime wedges (optional)

Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous, and cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
While couscous cooks, combine 1/2 cup water, coconut milk, and next 6 ingredients (through curry paste), stirring well with a whisk.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes or until done, turning once. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add peas, onion, and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add coconut milk mixture and 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Add chicken and lime juice to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve over couscous; garnish with lime wedges, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture and 1/2 cup couscous)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 361(18% from fat); FAT 7.2g (sat 2.6g,mono 1.8g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 34.4g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 39mg; SODIUM 778mg; FIBER 4.4g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38.1g

5 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

This looks awesome! Thanks for this - i'll have to see if I clipped it out!

9:08 PM, September 10, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! I love Thai food :-) Looks like a great recipe and great blog too...Thanks for stopping by at my blog!

11:51 PM, September 10, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, couldn't find the Filipino foodblog on egullet.org...would you happen to know the name or the author by any chance? :-) Thanks!

12:43 AM, September 11, 2005

 
Blogger Dawna said...

Mmmmm...Thai coconut curry... I'm pretty sure that the green one is the hottest of the four that I can get here in Vancouver. It's such a great quick meal, though! I like to use Asian eggplant (the long, slender ones) when I make green curry - the flavours just seem to go perfectly together.

12:57 PM, September 12, 2005

 
Blogger Christine said...

I can get you light Coconut milk here in London. I will bring some the next time I visit.

1:20 PM, September 12, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home