Thursday, September 08, 2005

Sweet basket........


sweet basket Posted by Picasa

Well, not all sweet, there is one savory item. Buttermilk biscuits. I dont know what possesed me to volunteer to put together a basket of baked goods for Robins charity golf tournament tomorrow. It's 10:30 pm and I'm exhausted. I had a client this morning and she ordered a gigantic chinese chicken salad from me. She was buying it as a present for her friend who is a vet in our town. I got up early, marinated and grilled chicken breasts, made the salad, a double batch of the dressing and sliced up the bread I baked last night. I then had to rush home and get the remainder of the salad delivered to client. I had a pedicure after that and I brought a menu to pedicure person. We bartered so tomorrow she is getting a meal and I got a 35 dollar pedicure for free. Thankfully, she is having the same meal as client( which reminds me to take out the pork tenderloins). Pork tenderloin in a dried cherry port sauce with onions and marmalade. (cook's illustrated). Pedicure person is getting some mashed spuds and Mrs. Client is getting mashed sweet potaotes. Pedicure person is also getting a salad.

So, back to the sweet basket. Today I baked Barefoot contessa's lemon pound cake. The recipe makes two. I split one up for client and pedicure gal. I snuck a taste and it was yummy. Very lemony with a good crumb. I also baked peanut butter surprise cookies( Martha stewart everyday food). They were easy and I gave one to Robin and she said they were good. Next came buttermilk biscuits. Easy recipe from Cook's Illustrated. Two days ago I did a kahula cake, a zucchini bread and ginger cookies. I added 2 jars of homeade jam to the basket, a dish towel and a pot holder. I hope it bring in the bucks.

Oh, I forgot, I also made us dinner. 12 points of goodness. Orichette with turkey sausage and broccoli rabe. I forgot to take a picture of it, we were starving.

Lemon cake

1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract For the glaze:
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice





Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pans.

Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.

When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.

1 Comments:

Blogger FoodNinja said...

Looks nice.. I like cooking for other people... I think it is because I like eating other peoples stuff..

8:11 AM, September 10, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home