Friday, January 06, 2006

Baking for the boys.......


dog cookies Posted by Picasa

I dont remember where I got this recipe, but the boys love them. They are easy to make, they make a TON and they freeze well. Chelsea and I made these on Monday and she really wanted to use her dinasaur cookie cutters. Normally, I just use a bone shaped cutter, but this time I let her use what she wanted. She did very well cutting out the shapes and transfering them to a cookie sheet. I might have used a touch too much flour in the rolling out, but the boys didnt mind. I also want to give Christine a big thank you for giving me one of her white square plates. I've wanted one for awhile for picture taking.

2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons dry parsley
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons honey
1 egg
5-6 cups whole wheat flour





Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C).

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the parsley, garlic, broth, honey, and egg. Gradually blend in flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough.

Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5 minutes). Shape the dough into a ball, and roll to 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick. Using small bone-shaped cookie cutters, make biscuits! Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4 inch (6 mm) apart. Gather up the scraps, roll out again, and cut additional biscuits.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Let cool overnight. (After we finish baking all batches of biscuits, we turn off the oven, then spread all the biscuits out on one baking sheet and set them in the oven to cool overnight. The extra time in the oven as it cools off helps make the treats crispier and crunchier.)

Makes several dozen small bones that keep and freeze well. We like these biscuits because they're quick and easy and we always have the ingredients on hand to make them. Our boys like them because they're good!

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Randi, this is great!

I'm always promising myself I'll make cookies for the pups...yet I never get 'round to it.

Before the weekend's over, I'm making these...thanks!

10:21 PM, January 06, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home