Thursday, September 29, 2005

Fall


butternut squash soup with apple, sage and bacon Posted by Picasa

Today was the first day it actually felt like Fall. Even after living here for almost 3 years, I still have a hard time with the seasons changing. I love the pretty colors and making all the comfort foods, but I know that winter is just around the corner and that i dont like. I dont enjoy the snow and ice and either does my baby Oliver.

So, being that my indoor atomic clock/thermometer said it was 51f outside( I keep my temp at F, I still dont get the whole Celcius thing), I made soup. The soup was for a new client. Mrs. T saw my menu at the place I get my pedicures, she called me yesterday and said she was going to her cabin and could i make her some soup. I suggested a salad to go with it. I remembered seeing this new recie in the new issue of Fine Cooking. I went to the store this morning, and bought the ingredients. The prices of groceries are going up. Even from last week. Something I used to pay .99 cents for is now 1.29. Butter used to be 3.59, its now 3.79. I think I'm going to have to charge a bit more than I am. Oh well, maybe she will become a steady client. Her husband owns a business in town and often needs lunches/parties catered.

My thoughts on the soup: It needed more apple and more flavor. It was good, but I think the squash isnt ready yet. I think it needs more time to ripen. I tasted a cube before I pureed it and it wasnt that sweet. I will also add a shallot or two next time and maybe some currry powder.

Here is the recipe if interested
1 butternut squash peeled and cubed( about 6 cups)
4 cups chicken broth
1 tart apple, peeled and cubed( I used granny smith)
1 1/2 tbls fresh sage
8 slices bacon
salt, pepper

chop up bacon, remove from pot. Cook squash until browned. Add apple, sage, salt, pepper and cook 5 more min. Add broth, scrape up browned bits on bottom. Simmer for about 10 min, or until cooked thru. Add back half of bacon and puree soup. check seasonings and garnish top with crumbled bacon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dawna said...

Randi, if you want a more apple-y flavour, you might want to consider subbing out a quarter cup of the stock for apple juice, or add a couple of spoons of applesauce. I like the combination of apple and squash - pear is nice, too.

9:20 AM, September 30, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this sounds good! Can't find butternut squash here but will try to approximate...thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

11:03 AM, October 04, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home