Wednesday, February 07, 2007

South Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce....



About a year ago, I stopped buying commercial BBQ sauces. I never realized how much high fructose corn syrup they contain. In fact, it is often the first ingredient. I made this South Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce for the ribs we ate on Sunday. The sauce is very simple to prepare and contains no HFCS. Everything is mixed and cooked in one pot on top of the stove. It takes a mere 10 minutes. The sauce is different from tomato based sauces, but is still very tasty.

The recipe is courtesy of Egullet member =Mark.
2/3 c yellow prepared mustard
1/2 c white sugar
1/4 c light brown sugar
1 c cider vinegar
2 T chili powder ( I used ancho chili powder)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
(I add crushed red pepper and if I want it even hotter I use fresh ground pequins)
4 drops Tabasco
(I use Louisiana style hot sauce and lots of it instead)
1/2 tsp soy sauce
2 T butter

Combine all ingredients except the soy sauce and butter in a saucepan and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in soy sauce and butter. May be used as a basting sauce for barbecue meat or as a condiment.

Experiment and enjoy. =Mark adds the juice of 1 lime and more spice.

5 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

Looks great... I make my own sauce too... I just can't stomach the HFCS and the preservatives in the store bought brands... iiikk..

5:35 PM, February 08, 2007

 
Blogger wheresmymind said...

I can't stand store bought BBQ sauces..bleh :P

7:21 PM, February 08, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work.
The last bottle of mustard bbq sauce I bought was at Shealey's in South Carolina, but I will make my own from now on.
Spanky at the Breakfast Blogger
aka Nosher of the North at Ethicurean

8:03 PM, February 10, 2007

 
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

Mmmm! Sounds delicious.

9:30 AM, February 11, 2007

 
Blogger Taylor said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll have to give this recipe a try once I run out of the many bottles of mustard-based bbq sauce I have in the pantry from my visits back home in SC.

11:33 AM, February 26, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home