Saturday, July 26, 2008

Blueberry Tart( everday food).......




I absolutely love blueberries. I bought 3 pints for 5.00 last week because I really wanted to make this blueberry tart. I saw it on Everday Baking and it totally called out to me..... " Randi, make me.... make Robin eat a piece". LOL, we all know by now Robin is not a lover of fruit.

It was super simple and if you love blueberries, you'll love this. I think the next time I make it, I'm going to add a cream cheese type filling under the blueberries.


Ingredients
Serves 10
FOR THE CRUST
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for dusting ( I used 1/4 corn meal for 1/4 cup of the flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
FOR THE FILLING
6 cups (3 pints) fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter; process until large moist crumbs form (dough should hold together when squeezed).
Transfer dough to a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom; with floured fingers, press evenly into bottom and up sides. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes; prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes; cool completely.
Meanwhile, reserve 1 cup of the prettiest berries for topping. In a medium saucepan, bring 1/4 cup water and 1 1/2 cups berries to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to break down, 3 to 4 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water; stir into berries in pan. Add lemon zest and juice, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, stirring, just until mixture begins to thicken, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 3 1/2 cups fresh berries. Immediately pour hot berry mixture into cooled tart shell, and smooth with a spatula.
Scatter reserved berries on top, pressing down lightly to help them adhere. Refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes and up to overnight.

5 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

Looks absolutely delicious!

7:01 AM, July 27, 2008

 
Anonymous Haley said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, haleyglasco@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/06/06/key-ingredient-cooks-kitchen-recipe-contest/

Thanks,
Haley
KI Blogger

11:47 AM, July 28, 2008

 
Blogger Cyndi said...

3 pints for $5! Wow. I just saw them at the market in Gunnison for $5 a pint. I like your idea of adding a cream cheese layer next time. When I get back to California, I'll keep my eyes open for good deals on blueberries. Sometimes I can get the half-pint boxes for $.99 at the 99 cent store.

10:49 AM, July 30, 2008

 
Blogger Randi said...

FYI everyone,

I went to make a new post and blogger locked my blog thinking it was a spam blog( huh?)

I can't post until its reviewed.

2:36 PM, August 01, 2008

 
Blogger Alisha said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

7:35 AM, August 13, 2008

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home