Saturday, July 26, 2008

Blueberry Tart( everday food).......




I absolutely love blueberries. I bought 3 pints for 5.00 last week because I really wanted to make this blueberry tart. I saw it on Everday Baking and it totally called out to me..... " Randi, make me.... make Robin eat a piece". LOL, we all know by now Robin is not a lover of fruit.

It was super simple and if you love blueberries, you'll love this. I think the next time I make it, I'm going to add a cream cheese type filling under the blueberries.


Ingredients
Serves 10
FOR THE CRUST
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for dusting ( I used 1/4 corn meal for 1/4 cup of the flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
FOR THE FILLING
6 cups (3 pints) fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter; process until large moist crumbs form (dough should hold together when squeezed).
Transfer dough to a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom; with floured fingers, press evenly into bottom and up sides. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes; prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes; cool completely.
Meanwhile, reserve 1 cup of the prettiest berries for topping. In a medium saucepan, bring 1/4 cup water and 1 1/2 cups berries to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to break down, 3 to 4 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water; stir into berries in pan. Add lemon zest and juice, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, stirring, just until mixture begins to thicken, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 3 1/2 cups fresh berries. Immediately pour hot berry mixture into cooled tart shell, and smooth with a spatula.
Scatter reserved berries on top, pressing down lightly to help them adhere. Refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes and up to overnight.

3 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

Looks absolutely delicious!

7:01 AM, July 27, 2008

 
Blogger Cyndi said...

3 pints for $5! Wow. I just saw them at the market in Gunnison for $5 a pint. I like your idea of adding a cream cheese layer next time. When I get back to California, I'll keep my eyes open for good deals on blueberries. Sometimes I can get the half-pint boxes for $.99 at the 99 cent store.

10:49 AM, July 30, 2008

 
Blogger Randi said...

FYI everyone,

I went to make a new post and blogger locked my blog thinking it was a spam blog( huh?)

I can't post until its reviewed.

2:36 PM, August 01, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home