Monday, May 12, 2008

Rhubarb raspberry pie.......




Its no secret that I'm a cake kinda girl. Plain, frosted, layer, sheet, bundt, I'm sure you get the picture. Its not often that I'll turn down a piece of cake. My Mother-in-law however, is a pie gal. She loves pie( as do most of the older folks around these parts). Since yesterday was Mother's Day, Robin and I whipped her mom up a nice pie. I've always been afraid of lattice, but I wanted to do it this time because I knew it would showcase all the ruby red fruit. I used my go to pie dough recipe for pate brise. I love the taste of an all butter crust even though my MIL prefers lard( egad!!). The filling is simply 4 cups of chopped rhubarb, a cup of raspberries, a cup of sugar( I used vanilla sugar) and 1/4c. of minute tapioca. I've made lots of pies since moving to Ontario and I have to say that as a pie thickener, I prefer the tapioca over flour or cornstarch.

Robin did the lattice using the really simple intructions we found over on simply recipes. I eggwashed the top and sprinkled some turbinado sugar over the whole lot.

Now, if we can just get the hang of this new camera, we'd be set.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

You know this is just what I was looking for. I want to make something with rhubarb this year as I have never used it before. I think this may be the recipe!

5:27 PM, May 12, 2008

 
Blogger Joy Bugaloo said...

That is a truly gorgeous pie! Now I'm going to have to make one, darn you!

And be patient with the camera--there's a learning curve. I'm still riding it myself!

--Gina

9:15 PM, May 13, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home