Thursday, May 08, 2008

Mimi's carrot walnut raisin bread......



I'm pretty much an "anti chain" restaurant type of person, especially in Florida. There are so many fabulous independent restaurant choices that I dont understand why someone would visit an Olive Garden or a Red Lobster. Thats not to say that I dont eat at any chains. When I go to Port Huron, I basically have no choice as almost all the restaurants there are chains. Jimmy John's sandwiches just opened up there and I'm not ashamed to say that I really like the #12.

My ex's mom used to take us to Mimi's cafe in Phoenix when we'd go back for a visit. I loved, loved, loved the carrot raisin walnut bread. Mimi's would always give you one small slice in their breadbasket. It would be the first peice I'd pick up. I found this copycat recipe( Top Secret Recipes) and I'm happy to report that the taste is very similar. I did make a few substitutions as I had pecans instead of walnuts. I also had a breakfast blend of dried fruits so I used that. Next time I make this, I'll reduce the oil to 3/4 cup(from 1 cup). I found it to be slightly greasy. Its dead simple to make and the recipe makes 2 loaves.

5 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Thanks for the heads up and recipe! We first discovered Mimi's living in Tucson (AZ) for five years. (We live in Kansas now.) Also loved their bran muffin and their waffles were delicious!
Can't wait to try the carrot bread recipe.

9:17 AM, May 08, 2008

 
Blogger Tino said...

Not only do people flock to the Olive Garden and The Cheesecake Factory, but they are actually willing to wait 1, 2, 2+ hours for the chance to do it!

The only time I frequent those kinds of places is if I happen to be in a larger group and that is where they all want to go.

The bread looks yummy, too!

8:35 AM, May 09, 2008

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I made carrot cake this weekend. We're always on the same wavelength.

10:04 AM, May 12, 2008

 
Blogger Fiber said...

Ugh, it drives me absolutely crazy that people will stand in line for 2 hours at the Olive Garden and claim it's the best Italian they've ever had. Meanwhile, there are 3 authentic Italian restaurants within a 5 mile drive that have fantastic food.

Bread looks tasty!!!

7:25 AM, May 15, 2008

 
Blogger Lenore said...

I am anti-chain myself (although we end up at Chili's much too often, because hubby is a fan), but Mimi's is very high up there on the small list of "chains worth visiting"...it is the most unlike a chain I've ever found!

6:27 PM, July 05, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home