Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Beer Can Chicken( CI).......



I seem to be one of those folks who's always behind on the latest cooking fads. Can you believe I've never even made the No Knead Bread??? It took me awhile to try beer can chicken and I'm really sorry I waited so long. I have this irrational fear of running out of propane in the middle of grilling. Thus, I never want to grill things that take hours and hours. I knew we were going to my MIL's for dinner on Sunday, so I decided to make this over there. My MIL has a direct gas hookup to her bbq( I'm smacking myself for not doing that when we did all our renovations). This seems like a fussy recipe, but its really very simple. I used the recipe and technique( loosely) from Cook's Illustrated. I bought 2 whole fryer's at Meijer in Port Huron, MI for .69lb( so cheap!!). I made a simple rub of parprika, salt, pepper, celery seed and thyme( I left out the cayenne). Instead of beer cans, I used two empty soup cans because they were sturdier. You fill those with beer and crumbled bay leaves( you can also use lemondae of ginger ale or whatever). I also used mesquite chips that I soaked for an hour. Those went right on the coals in a disposable pie plate( CI says make a foil packet, but I used the plate). We did have to flip the birds around a few times since they cook on indirect heat. The end result was a moist very tasty bird. I only had the breast meat and it was really good. This is something I'll defintely make again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Patsyk said...

Well, now I must be the last one to try the beer can chicken! LOL! I haven't done it, but will have to give it a try. Your chickens look so nice and moist, and they are that perfect golden/roasted color. Yum!

9:25 AM, May 13, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I'd be the last one. Ditto with the NK Bread even though I bought a ECI DO just for it. Sigh. Your chickens look delish. You might want to buy an extra can of propane to have on hand so you don't run out. Which reminds me I need to take the empty one for trade-in.

5:15 AM, May 14, 2008

 
Blogger The Family Chef said...

Randi,
I am in the middle of a kitchen renovation now and am so happy to know I'm not the only one who obsesses over kitchen sinks.I found your link on a forum. Your blog is great and I hope to try some of these when I can cook again, in 6-8 wks! I have a blog at thefamilychef.blogspot.com if you wan to check it out. thx

Amy

3:18 PM, May 16, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time you make the beer can chicken put an orange, lemon, or onion on the top where the neck hole is. It bastes the meat and adds an extra depth of flavor.

9:59 AM, August 02, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home