Friday, July 14, 2006

Sand Cake........






My neice Chelsea is here for the weekend and we have a BBQ to attend tomorrow. The BBQ is an all day pool party with lots of kids so I thought it would be a good time to make this dirt cake. The original recipe was shown on a repeat of Martha Stewart living. Of course, I'm sure you could find other versions floating around the net. Martha and her friend made this cake in a sterilized flower pot. I chose to make it in a brand new sand pail. Thus, this is a sand cake.

The layers consist of instant pudding mixed with cream cheese and cool-whip( of course Martha used real whipped cream, but if you're using instant pudding, why waste real cream on that?) and pulverized oreo's. I had some cupcakes in the freezer so I used those between the layers as well as golden uh oh oreos. We threw some gummy worms in halfway thru. Chelsea took great pleasure in decorating the top. Who cares if its totally trashy and tastes like crap. She loved making it and thats all that maters to me. Let's hope it gets eaten tomorrow!!

5 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

What a super fun idea! I'd probably still eat it despite it tasting awful ;)

6:14 AM, July 15, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Well, at least you're not making litter box cakes.

I would probably enjoy your sand cake. Pre-blog, I made something similar. Cream cheese, pudding,real whipped cream, with a crust (no 'theme'). I enjoyed it.

7:41 AM, July 17, 2006

 
Blogger Sara said...

i love it! i tried to convince scott we should make the litter box cake once for a birthday cake for someone in his family, but he wouldn't go for it...

9:45 AM, July 17, 2006

 
Blogger Heather said...

I don't know why it would taste awful. It sounds wonderful to me. What did you use to make the sand?

12:26 PM, July 17, 2006

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I remember a bridal shower I attended...oh, sixteen years ago, or more...and they 'served' a similar thing, in the flower pots.

Coming from my super-healthy household, it was the coolest thing ever!

And yeah; kids love this stuff. Now I just need to find candy worms which are not made from gelatin (a difficult task), and Alex can enjoy it, too!

8:40 AM, July 21, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home