Monday, July 10, 2006

Chicken Tacos, black beans and rice.....



Black beans arent big sellers around here. In fact, Robin never ate them until she met me. You can surely find cans of black beans in the grocery store, but they will most probably find their way into a pot of beef filled chili rather than eating them as a side dish. Robin loves them so I try to make them a couple times a month. A friend of mine in California brought a pot of them to a bbq we attended and they were so good I asked her for the recipe. I use dried beans and I always soak them the night before. After draining, I add fresh water, a whole jalapeno, a chopped onion and red or green pepper. After an hour, I add a chicken cube. Easy as pie.

I made some brown rice too. I chopped up some green onion and sauteed that with brown rice in some Olive Oil. I added some cumin, salt free seasoning, some chopped tomato( left over from the cobb salad ingredients) and some salsa verde.

We had chicken taco's with it. Ignore my store bought taco shells. I wish I had access to fresh corn tortilla's( or even refridgerated ones) but I dont' Robin had some whole wheat tortilla's. I stove-top grilled 2 chicken breasts that I rubbed with a grilled paste from Williams Sonoma. Chopped lettuce, low-fat sour cream, and low-fat cheese rounded these out. Fast and easy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

sounds wonderful, i love tacos and beans.

10:16 PM, July 10, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I tried to make my own taco shells when I made Beef Tacos. I ended up making tortilla chips (triangles) instead since standing over the hot oil trying to shape taco shells wasn't working out too well.

I have a semi-irrational fear of beans since my son is allergic to peanuts, another legume. He can eat peas, green beans, soy, etc yet I find myself avoiding beans.

5:51 AM, July 11, 2006

 
Blogger wheresmymind said...

Healthy! I love blackbeans and brown rice :)

6:09 AM, July 11, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home