Friday, July 07, 2006

Making Jam.......





Yesterday Christine came over at around 3pm and we made a bunch of jams. We made a brandied apricot( no pectin), low sugar blueberry, cherry and strawberry and some onion/garlic jam( the white one). And after all that was finished, I made a pasta dish with mushrooms, artichokes, chicken, spinach and peccornio romano( no pics sorry)

I dont think the Onion garlic jam set very well. The strawberry also didnt take well. I'm not sure how to fix it since I don't have any more low sugar pectin. I'll probably keep that and turn it into strawberry syrup. We each came away with lots of jam to keep or give as gifts. Robin even said if I make some bisquits she'll have some jam on them. In all our time together, I've never seen her eat jam. ( wow, how many times can I say Jam in once sentence?).

I really love to can, it appeals to my thrifty stock up the pantry nature( christine can attest to that, we ran out of her sugar and I had a backup one in the pantry).

I love giving food baskets as gifts ( which is where most of these are headed). I'm also going to sell some next weekend at our neighborhood yard sale. I had so much fun that now I want to make chili sauce, homeade ketchup and some chutney. Are you up for that Chris?

8 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

Onion garlic jam...bold!

2:52 PM, July 07, 2006

 
Blogger Nic said...

Hi Randi. I haven't been by to comment in a little while, but I just wanted to say that that new picture in your profile is just gorgeous! You look great!

8:00 PM, July 07, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I wanna can! I'm so jealous. This is on my 'list'.

4:12 AM, July 08, 2006

 
Blogger Christine said...

I'm up for it. Just as long as I get to bed early the next day!

I reboiled the onion jam and added a bit of balsamic vinegar for colour. My strawberry jams set up just fine.

8:52 AM, July 08, 2006

 
Blogger Patti said...

Your jams look great! I have never canned jam, I have only made Strawberry Freezer Jam which is a hit with the family.

2:03 PM, July 09, 2006

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow...that's some effort!

I made three jams/jellies last summer, but I broke it up over about a week.

I watched my Grammy make blackberry jelly every single year, so for me, it's all about nostalgia; I don't even eat jelly!

I made lemon marmalade, rhubarb/strawberry and Port wine jellies. And I had issues with a couple of them setting, too...so this year, I bought a book, from the canning jar people, all about preserving.

If/when I get around to it this year, I'm hoping things work out a bit better.

And homemade goods do make great gifts, don't they?

11:06 AM, July 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELP! I need a low sugar blackberry jam recipe, preferably one that uses fruit juice instead of Splenda! Can you post it here?

8:32 PM, August 21, 2006

 
Blogger lindsey starr said...

hey Randi...
a bunch of years ago (in 2006!) you sent me a BBM package that included a jar of orange rhubarb ginger jam, and it was fantastic! Do you have a recipe for that? I just received a bunch of rhubarb and would love to use it for that.
I would be soooo happy if you would share it with me!
Thanks,
~Lindsey

12:46 PM, July 31, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home