Wednesday, May 17, 2006

the dregs of the fridge......





Last night for dinner, I was determined to use up stuff that I had in the freezer/fridge. I'm the queen of "clearance" and "reduced" items and I often throw whatever it is in our chest freezer. I dug out 2 portabella mushrooms( they freeze wonderfully, btw) and a green pepper from the produce drawer. I had some whole wheat sub buns and some turkey sausage in there as well. I also am guilty of throwing half open bags of tortillas in the freezer too. Additionally, I had 3 chicken tenders left from Sunday's dinner. Those were already marinated.

I grilled the chicken along with the sausages. I made a quesadilla with the mushrooms, peppers, some ramps( wild leeks), the chicken and spinach. I used some manchego cheese Christine and I got in Toronto. Wow, was that ever strong!!!

I saved some of the peppers and mushrooms and made sandwiches with those. I brushed the bread with some garlic spread( a wonderful locally made product) and melted some cheese on them.

During the day, I made some silly toffee squares. These were featured in this week's foodblog over on egullet. I wasn't that fond of them because they were really sweet, but they were easy to make. I did buy a large box of rice krispies especially to make these. Rice Krispies is a cereal I normally wouldnt buy. Now I have to find a way to use it up without resorting to rice krispie squares.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

You should've made the Millionaire's Shortbread I posted last week. Same sort of thing but you wouldn't have any leftover rice krispies on hand.

I love using up leftovers. I need to start clearing out the freezer again. It was practically empty about a month ago and now it's packed again.

6:33 AM, May 18, 2006

 
Blogger Christine said...

I made an asparagus tart with the manchengo. I didnt find it too strong, but I know I like stinkier cheese than you do.

1:02 PM, May 20, 2006

 
Blogger Just some girl said...

I read that many people use crushed-up Rice Krispies instead of the (expensive!) Japanese panko bread crumbs.

6:32 AM, May 31, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home