Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mulit-grain sandwich loaf (CI).....



I've had this bread on my " list of things to make" for awhile. I woke up feeling a bit blah today, so I thought it was a perfect day to make it. I wanted to stay home and rest up for me and Christine's big day trip to Toronto tomorrow.

Like most CI recipes, it was a bit fussy. However, I didnt follow the recipe exactly and it still came out wonderful. Light and flavorful with a wonderful crust and texture. The recipe also makes 2 big loaves.

The recipe starts by soaking a 7 grain cereal( they recommend Bob's red Mill)( I used some from the bulk store.) in hot water. Then you add some melted butter, honey, instant yeast, ww flour, sunflower seeds, and AP flour. The dough was very wet so I ended up adding about another half cup of flour. After a brief mix, you add some salt. After mixing with the dough hook of the KA, you take it out and knead it a little bit. Then it rises, you shape it and place it in the loaf pan, top with oats and rise again.

Since my oven is funky, I always check my bread with an instant read thermometer. It reached 200 degrees after 40 min.

I wish I would have tried this last month when it was cooler out, I hate using the oven when its warm outside because it really heats up our house. Nonetheless, it was a very tasty loaf.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Funny, I swear I posted about how great this bread looks. I must not have hit the submit button. It looks perfect.

Hey, Dreamfield just added lasagna and rotini to the line so maybe you'll be able to find the lasagna soon. It just showed up in one of my stores about 2 weeks ago.

4:22 AM, May 13, 2006

 
Blogger Patti said...

Yeah, glad you tried this bread and liked it. It is one of my favorites to make now. I use Bob's Red Mill 10 grain cereal since I cannot find the 7 grain.

3:02 PM, May 14, 2006

 
Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Randi, the new store near my house makes a bread that looks similar to that, except they add shredded carrots (not too many) and some walnuts. It is really good and the carrots add a little color. I dare you to try that addition if you make this bread again. You might want to dry the carrots out a little in the microwave or oven, though.

Anyway, yours looks good.

2:41 PM, May 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home