Monday, November 17, 2008

Smoke and Spice, Windsor, Ontario.







I love San Marzano tomatoes. I can't use any other kind of canned tomatoes since discovering these. I'm pretty lucky in that I've found a place to buy them for 1.50 a can( 28oz). To get that price, I have to buy a case of them, but thats ok since its all I use when a recipe calls for canned tomatoes. My stash was getting a bit low, so I suggested to Robin we take a trip down to Windsor, ON to visit the Italian supermarket and a favorite restaurant down there called Spago's.

After a quick bid on Priceline, we got the Raddison riverfront for 50.00(USD). Robin's mom joined us as Robin has family there and my MIL was going to visit them.

I did a search for a new place to eat in Windsor and I came across this BBQ place called Smoke and Spice on a Chowhound thread. They advertise themselves has having real " Southern" BBQ. Overall, it was a great lunch and a very good value for the money.

I had the 1/4 chicken( white meat) $8.95. This came with 2 sides. I had the mac and cheese which was really rich and creamy) and the waffle fries. The fries had a sort of BBQ spice on them that I didnt care for. The chicken was a tad on the dry side( I'd suggest brining) too. I had a really wonderful clam/corn chowder to start and I was seriously full after that so I didnt enjoy the lunch as much as I should have. I took the Mac and Cheese home and reheated it last night for dinner. It reheated very well. The cornbread was true southern style, not sweet and a bit dry. It costs 1.00 to add that to your meal.

My MIL had the bologne sandwich and mac and cheese. She thought the bolgne was very good too. She couldnt finish her lunch either!!

Robin had the pulled pork sandwich(9.95). She said it was really good. It was served on a bun w/ coleslaw. She also tried their BBQ rubbed wings which she proclaimed interesting. She said the cole fired wings I make her are better.

Overall, I was impressed( and thats saying a lot). The portions were huge, the food was tasty and the price was right. Its no surpise that the owners went down to TN to learn the craft of Southern BBQ from a BBQ restaurant owner. We all know the portions in America are huge!!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Ah, bologna! I couldn't figure out what I was looking at in that picture. I've never seen a hunk of bologna on a sandwich like that.

I hate when they overseason fries. I've had fries I couldn't even eat, they were so salty and overspiced since some restaurants feel the need to add their own special touch to fries.

7:50 AM, November 18, 2008

 
Blogger Maris said...

YUM - waffle fries!

2:20 PM, November 27, 2008

 
Blogger Jessie said...

Toronto (Canada) is a great place to visit and i guess Ontario is the capital city for Canada and i heard the food over there is really spicy and what next month am moving to Canada for my higher studies and am gonna definitely try them out ! i just love food


spice smoke

10:13 AM, August 27, 2011

 

Post a Comment

<< Home