Saturday, October 04, 2008

White chicken chili and corn toasties.....





Do you know what it means when the weather has a noticable chill? It means soup and chili time, of course.

I whipped up this white chicken chili from a recipe in the new Cuisine at Home Soup/Chili book( 9.95 on magazine shelves now). I've had GREAT luck with Cuisine at Home recipes. They've never failed me and they're pretty easy to follow. I did make a few changes, so I wont post the recipe.

I can't remember where I found this corn toastie recipe, but they're yummy!! You pour the batter into a jelly roll pan and then slice and toast. To me, cornbread is a must accompaniment to Chili!!

Corn Toasties

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c + 2 T sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 c + 2 T cornmeal
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1 c milk

Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a medium-sized bowl mix together the melted butter & sugar. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Add the baking powder, cornmeal, flour & salt. Mix until everything is moistened. Stir in milk & mix until almost smooth (a few lumps are fine).

Lightly grease a 10" x 15" baking sheet with 1/2" sides. Pour the batter into the baking sheet, spreading into all the corners. Tap the baking sheet on the counter 1 or 2 times to even the batter out.

Bake for about 25 minutes. The edges should be brown & pulling away from the side of the pan & the top show be set. Allow to rest in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes. Using a sharp knife cut into individual pieces I cut it into eight 2 1/2" x 3 3/4" rectangles.

Store the toasties wrapped in plastic wrap or in a resealable bag in the refrigerator for use over the next week. For longer storage keep them in the freezer.

To serve toast until browning & top with butter, syrup, honey or jam.

Makes 8 toasties

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

This looks great, I wouldn't have thought to make cornbread toast!

7:58 PM, October 05, 2008

 
Blogger Debbie said...

Your chili looks great. I recently came a cross a bunch of cuisine at home mags at a yard sale. I like them also and think I will get a subscription. You convinced me when you said they never failed you!!!

4:20 AM, October 06, 2008

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Those corn toasties remind me of Thomas's toaster cakes. My mom would buy those occasionally - which made them a treat. I was just looking at them longingly in the grocery store recently but they were pricey. I'm going to have to try this recipe.

6:16 AM, October 06, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to drop you a line and say thanks for the Corn Toasties recipe. Being from Alabama, a sweet cornbread is almost against the law, but I occasionally like to buck convention and go for it. It was very good and a great complement to the soup I made for lunch. Even better, I now have leftovers. Thanks again.

11:05 AM, November 02, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home