Sunday, June 11, 2006

banana-cinnamon waffles( cooking light)




I wanted to post about the dinner I made on Thursday night, but it seems I either forgot to take a picture or I accidentally deleted it. Bummer, cause it was easy and good. Nevertheless, I made some waffles tonight for my MIL. I originally made these a few months ago for a weekend breakfast. We also made them last month in the community kitchen and everyone loved them. My MIL asked me to make her a batch of these because she loved them. I can see why, they are really good and very healthy for you. One of the best kitchen items I've ever bought on Amazon is this waffle iron. It makes 2 square waffles that you can either leave together or break up into dipping stix. The waffle iron was also on sale for the ridiculously low price of 11.88. I've gotten my money's worth, thats for sure. I made a double batch and froze each serving individually. To serve, you just pop into the toaster straight from the freezer.

Banana-Cinnamon Waffles



Crown these lightly spiced waffles with cinnamon sugar, sliced bananas, and/or a drizzle of maple syrup. Buckwheat flour adds a somewhat tangy, robust nuttiness.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 large ripe banana, mashed
Cooking spray

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, flaxseed, and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.Combine milk, butter, and eggs, stirring with a whisk; add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until blended. Fold in mashed banana.

Preheat a waffle iron. Coat iron with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per 4-inch waffle onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until steaming stops; repeat procedure with remaining batter.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2 waffles)

writeNutrient();NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 215(31% from fat); FAT 7.4g (sat 3.3g,mono 1.9g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 7.3g; CHOLESTEROL 65mg; CALCIUM 133mg; SODIUM 205mg; FIBER 3.4g; IRON 1.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.1g

3 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

Man...I love banana for breakfast in some sort of carb delivery device!

5:53 AM, June 12, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

That looks like one groovy waffle iron. I think a waffle iron is one of the few small appliances I don't own. It's on my list!

9:47 AM, June 12, 2006

 
Blogger Sara said...

Love the waffle iron. I have never had any luck with them, they never work for me.

1:30 PM, June 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home