Monday, March 27, 2006

Oat and Honey Granola pie.......




All this talk of Anna winning the pillsbury bake-off reminded me of a recipe that won the grand prize in 2004. This recipe makes novel use of granola bars and its very simple to make. The original recipe calls for Oat and Honey bars, but I've used other flavors with success. I had some pecan crunch bars in the closet so that is what I used this time. While I enjoy the flavor of this pie, it is very sweet. Because I'm a diabetic, I can't eat more than one forkful which to me, is plenty. My MIL came over yesterday so I sent home half of it with her. The pie also uses a refridgerated ready made pillsbury crust. I suppose you can make your own, but I whipped this up in about 10 minutes.

If you want a simple, failproof pie, make this one.



Crust
1 Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz box), softened as directed on box
Filling
1/2 cup butter or margarine ( i used butter)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs, lightly beaten
4 Nature Valley® Oats 'n Honey crunchy granola bars (2 pouches from 8.9-oz. box), crushed (3/4 cup)*
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup chocolate chips
Whipped cream or ice cream, if desired



1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place pie crust in 9-inch glass pie pan as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie.
2. In large microwavable bowl, microwave butter on High 50 to 60 seconds or until melted. Stir in brown sugar and corn syrup until blended. Beat in salt, vanilla and eggs. Stir crushed granola bars, walnuts, oats and chocolate chips into brown sugar mixture. Pour into crust-lined pan.
3. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until filling is set and crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled with whipped cream or ice cream. Store in refrigerator.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

This looks excellent and very similar to the Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Pie that I make for Thanksgiving every year, so I may have to sub this one in this year.

6:55 AM, March 28, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I love this pecan-pie type of gooey pie. Unfortunately we're a nut-and-peanut-free family now. If I can find nut and peanut-free granola bars I could probably still make this.

12:50 PM, March 28, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home