Saturday, February 18, 2006

Upside down butterscotch apple sour cream cake



So I keep trying with the fruit desserts. I'm totally chocolated out( is that possible) from Valentines Day so a fruit dessert was in order. I sent Robin up to the grocery store this morning( we're in the middle of a blizzard and I didnt want to step outside) for some apples. Our big grocery store will reduce lots of produce on a daily basis so I told her to look on the reduced rack for some apples. She picked up a pack of some kind of apple( they werent marked, I think they might have been gala) for 99 cents.

I found this recipe in the latest issue of Bon Appetite. It called for butterscotch chips, which I thought I had, but I didnt. No matter, I used a few tbls of cajeta( a goat's milk dulce de leche) instead and it turned out find. The topping is made in an oven proof skillet, then the cake batter is spread on top, then the entire thing is chucked in the oven for 30 min. Chelsea is here for the weekened and she loved it. Robin even said it was really good too.

No Pics from dinner. I used my waring pro deep fryer and fried up some chicken wings. Meijer had a buy one get one free bag so we got those. 9lbs for 9 dollars. Since the fryer was in use, I soaked some sweet onions in buttermilk for a few hours, then tossed them in a mixture of seasoned flour and cornmeal. Chelsea and Robin ate the wings and rings because I can't stand wings. I ate some leftovers that I had frozen( from vday). As good as that deep fryer is, the house since smells like fried food.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I made wings this weekend too but I baked them. I'm going to post about them either later tonight or in the morning. They were good.

I've only used my deep fryer a couple of times because I don't care for the smell either. It makes it impossible to forget that you just ate something bad for you.

5:33 PM, February 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home