Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Sugar High(low) Friday #15





Wow, Im finally early for a blogging event. I was snowed in today so I thought I'd get a jump on things and get started. Sugar High Friday was first conceived by Jennifer our own Canadian DomesticGoddess. This month's SHF is hosted by Sam over at Becks and Posh.

The premise behind this months event is to make a low sugar dessert, preferably one that uses natural sweeteners. I chose to make a vegan chocolate mouse. I picked up this package of almond dessert tofu for two reason. One because it was low-fat and two because it was only 99cents. This was dead simple to make. You puree the tofu in the cuisinart, add a couple tablespoons of maple syrup( natural sweetener). In hindsight, this recipe didnt need the syrup at all, and then blend in some melted chocolate. I had a variety of scraps of chocolate in my big baking box so I used a combination of dark, semi-sweet and some milk. I added a tbls of vanilla and then stuck it out in our frozen sunroom for a few hours. It firmed up nicely. For serving, I topped this with some chocolate vegan whipped topping( cool whip LOL) and some toasted almonds( I found a use for those almonds from the previous post) and Robin dug in. First, I had to explain to her that tofu is bland, it picks up other flavors, blah, blah, blah. I explained to her that the tofu took the place of the eggs and butter and cream. It was still very rich and very good. She thought the almond flavor was very overwhelming(because the tofu was almond flavored) but she still liked it. Best of all, it was dead simple to make and I didnt add any other sugar.
Tagged with: +

5 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

It looks wonderful. I've always been attracted to these tofu chocolate desserts but I've yet to try one. Someday.

7:46 AM, January 26, 2006

 
Blogger FoodNinja said...

I love tofu,, sadly my gurl is alergic to soy beans,, Weird eh?

11:35 AM, January 26, 2006

 
Blogger Sam said...

that's great - I must get around to trying one of those vegan desserts sometime! thanks for your sntry into SHF!

7:41 PM, January 27, 2006

 
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

"Frozen sunroom"? Oh, dear, maybe I can't move to Canada!!
xx

8:50 PM, January 27, 2006

 
Blogger Nic said...

I don't think I've ever seem almond flavored tofu sold at the market before. Even if it was a tad strong here, I bet it would be delicious in other desserts.

6:35 AM, January 28, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home