Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Pumpkin Roulade.....


Pumpkin roll

another view Posted by Picasa

I just adore pumpkin, in all shapes and forms. I saw this on the libby's website years ago and never made it. A few days ago I was perusing egullet, and I came across a discussion about whether or not dishtowels are needed for cake roulades( apparently not)

Anyway, I made this about 2hrs ago. The recipe uses no oil which sort of confused me at first. I used apple pie spice in place of the cinnamon and cloves the recipe called for. I also used mascarpone cheese( in place of cream cheese) to gild the lily a bit. As you can see, the roll cracked and I really dont know why. Ive made roulades before. Maybe I should add a few tbls of oil. Anyone have any ideas?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never made one, so I can't help...I'm afraid to try one for that exact reason! Although, I'm sure it still tastes excellent. :)

7:58 AM, October 26, 2005

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I've been making my family's pumpkin roll recipe the past few holidays, but I'm not sure what's different.

Maybe I've just been lucky avoiding cracks?

And for the record: it's one of the only holiday treats I make that I'll actually eat!

11:12 AM, October 27, 2005

 
Blogger Nic said...

Did you use the towel, Randi? I've made this recipe before and it cracks a little, with the first bit of rolling, but not too much. Perhaps do roll it soon after taking it out of the oven, so maybe the timing is more important than I realised.

4:24 PM, October 28, 2005

 
Blogger Nic said...

Hi Randi. I caught your comment about the cake. I guess it's just one of the things where sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. That's what frosting and powdered sugar are for!

7:00 AM, October 30, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For an easy way to make pumpkin purée, cut the pie pumpkin in about 3-5 cm (1-2 inch) slices. Don’t bother removing the skin. Cook pumpkin in a new generation pressure cooker for 4 minutes or so. Remove the skin from the pumpkin and mash the cooked pumpkin. The beauty of using a new generation pressure cooker is that it is easy to prepare the pumpkin. The pumpkin is basically pureed in the pressure cooker; just need to mash it a little bit—no need to use a sieve. The steam pressure breaks down the pumpkin fibres so it is not "thready". The pumpkin is moist when cooked in a pressure cooker—quite a bit different than baked pumpkin.

3:05 PM, November 08, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOOKS GREAT....I love pumpkin!

12:00 PM, November 11, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To avoid cracking, roll the cake in a towel soon after taking it out of the oven and let it cool like that. Then unroll it when you are ready to fill it. Fill it, and re-roll it!

6:09 PM, November 22, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home