Saturday, October 29, 2005

Breakfast in Florida........


Lox, eggs and onions

Grits

toasted scooped out onion bagel

Dr. Browns diet black cherry Posted by Picasa

Better late than never. I grew up in Plantation, Florida, a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale. My parents moved there from New York when I was 3. Being from a Jewish family, we grew up eating lots of ashkenazi jewish foods. Bagels, lox, blintzes, kasha and bows, etc. My mom cooks amazing Jewish food. Anyway, Robin and I went to Florida about 2 weeks ago and one of our favorite places to eat is Sage Deli in Hallandale Beach( near Hollywood). Sage is a Kosher restaurant. The first time we ate there, Robin was dismayed to see no bacon or sausage on the menu. Although they dont have any pork products, they do have wonderful turkey sausage. I prefer lox though.

Stupidly, a few days before we left for Florida, I had a flu shot. When we got to Florida, I came down with what I thought was a cold. I was so doped up on cold meds that I ended up ordering Nova( very salty belly lox) instead of regular lox. It was so salty, that I couldnt eat it. I explained it to the waitress and she replaced it. I also ordered grits instead of potatoes. I love grits. You can not find them here in Canada, so I mail order stone ground ones or buy them in MI. I also always order my bagel toasted and scooped. Sage's bagels are very chewy, remenisent of NY bagels. Yummy!! We even brought back 2 dozen bagels with us to Canada and we've been enjoying them a lot.

I washed down my breakfast with a diet Dr. Browns black cherry. I love Dr. Brown's, it has no diet taste at all. I think we ate at Sage 3 times this trip and a couple times we just bought a bagel to eat over at my sisters. If you're ever in the area, check it out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

What is the point of scooping the bagels? I have never seen that done before.

11:56 AM, October 30, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home