Sunday, September 03, 2006

Lasanga Rolls( Giada De Laurentis).....






Yesterday was a dreary, rainey stay at home day so I decided to cook something a little bit more labor intensive. I saw Giada make these on foodtv last week and I knew I had everything to make them. As it turned out, I didnt have lasagna noodles so I ran uptown for that and some more milk. Giada says you should only use whole milk, but I used 2 percent with no ill effects.

Giada also uses jarred sauce. I made my own marinara using imported san marzano tomatoes. I also throw a reggiano rind in my sauce while its simmering so that the wonderful flavors of the cheese infuse the sauce. The rest of the recipe is quite simple. Make up a bechemal, boil the noodles until al dente, fill the noodles with a mix of ricotta, parmesean, egg and spinach( Giada uses proscuitto, but I don't care for that so I used some italian sausage). cover with marinara and cheese and bake for 20 minutes( foil covered). Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more.

I asked Robin how she liked it and that led to a discussion about how much I like Ricotta and how she really doesnt. Growing up, her mother made lasagna with cottage cheese. I understand why as Ricotta is expensive here,( I buy it in Michigan). I grew up in Florida where most people are transplated NY'ers. In fact, I can't wait to eat a Calzone or baked ziti in Ft. Lauderdale because they are filled with Ricotta. Here, the calzones are called Panzerotti's and are filled with Mozzarella. It's still funny to me that we like and crave what we grew up with.

How do you make your lasagna?

8 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

Giada has a homemade sauce recipe that is really really good! I made it for a rollatini recipe (hers) and it was really flavorful :)

12:53 PM, September 03, 2006

 
Blogger Sara said...

my lasagne is different every time because i don't follow a recipe. i do use cottage cheese though. i like it, it's what my mom used and ricotta can be expensive and hard to find here.

8:19 PM, September 04, 2006

 
Blogger Patti said...

I am planning on making Giada's lasagna for dinner today! Great Minds...
I usually make my own marinara. I use Lindrusso's Marinara from the CLBB.

6:37 AM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

My standard is usually noodles (boiled or oven-ready, depending on my energy level), ricotta mixed with mozzarella, eggs and seasonings, ground beef and jarred sauce. I've been meaning to try it with cottage cheese because I've heard so many people say they prefer it that way.

7:13 AM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey, that looks great! Weather's gotten unexpectedly cold in the past couple of days, I could really go a lasagne right about now.

Mmm... I love ricotta too. It's pretty cheap in Australia, luckily. And as a bonus, it's much lower in fat than ordinary cheeses (it's somewhere around 10% or less, I think). Not that that would influence me, hehe!

xox Sarah

6:44 AM, September 06, 2006

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I made this very recipe about a year ago, and absolutely loved it.

Of course, I made my own sauce, which made the whole process take considerably longer; but all in all, a pretty good dish.

Which is probably the last time we've had lasagne...we simply don't eat it in our house.

Hmmm...not sure why.

8:37 PM, September 06, 2006

 
Blogger barbie2be said...

these look delicious! i love giada's recipes!

11:40 AM, September 11, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could someone help me here? I am trying to find out how to contact Ms Laurentis. My 11 yo daughter has suddenly discovered she is a gifted chef thanks to Giada's show. I can't thank her enough. Seriously.

I've done searches for booking info, agencies but, come up short. Any help appreciated. Thank You

email me at: bebopredux@gmail.com

12:44 PM, October 03, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home