Thursday, August 10, 2006

Marinara and Turkey Meatballs.....







Growing up in South Florida, I probably ate as much Italian food as I did Jewish Food. It seems like most everyone in Florida is from NY. When I go back to visit, I never fail to visit Mario the Baker in Sunrise, Florida and Mia Grill in Hollywood, Florida. The one thing that I judge all Italian restaurants on is their Marinara sauce. Its funny though, its not hard to make a good sauce, you just need a few simple ingredients. I've perfected my Marinara sauce and I dare say its as good as the two in Florida that I love. I continued the cooking spree today with Sauce and turkey meatballs. The sauce is simply EVOO, garlic( local), onion, a carrot, and 3 cans of SAN MARZANO tomatoes. These are the key. San Marzano's are grown in Italy in special soil. This makes a tomato that is very low in acid. No sugar is needed in this sauce.

The turkey meatballs are made entirely in the food processor. My recipe is based on one I took from Cooking Light years ago. They consist of ground turkey, zucchini, carrot, green onion, wheat bread, egg white, salt, pepper and parsely. I bake them instead of frying them and let them simmer in the flavorful sauce. Please don't top this with canned parmesean cheese, only reggiano will do. Mangia!!

2 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

ahhh...was wondering why the meatballs were green...zucchini?

5:24 AM, August 11, 2006

 
Blogger Heather said...

You know I am going to have to make this right? Can you send me an email with the recipe? Heathernks@gmail.com

6:31 AM, August 15, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home