Sunday, June 03, 2007

Blueberry Boy Bait(Cook's Country)....




This recipe comes from Cook's Country, the sister publication to my beloved Cook's Illustrated. I was perusing the message boards and found this under "America's Best Lost Recipes". Apparently, this was submitted in the 50's to Pillsbury's recipe contest. I guess its so good it can attract teenage boys!! Cook's Country updated the recipe( removed the shortening, etc) and I can vouch that its very good. It had a nice light texture and flavor. I would have prefered more blueberries though. My mother-in-law came over and we had this as a snack. Even my neice loved it.

Blueberry Boy Bait
Serves 12

If using frozen blueberries, do not let them thaw, as they will turn the batter a blue-green color.


Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
16 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup blueberries , fresh or frozen, (see note above)

Topping

1/2 cup blueberries , fresh or frozen (see note above)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. For the cake: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

2. Whisk 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl. With electric mixer, beat butter and sugars on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just incorporated. Reduce speed to medium and beat in one-third of flour mixture until incorporated; beat in half of milk. Beat in half of remaining flour mixture, then remaining milk, and finally remaining flour mixture. Toss blueberries with remaining 1 teaspoon flour. Using rubber spatula, gently fold in blueberries. Spread batter into prepared pan.

3. For the topping: Scatter blue-berries over top of batter. Stir sugar and cinnamon together in small bowl and sprinkle over batter. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes, then turn out and place on serving platter (topping side up). Serve warm or at room temperature. (Cake can be stored in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.)

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently got a free trial copy of Cook's Country. Love CI, so I'm considering subscribing.
I had never heard of this recipe before. Glad you liked it and I'll have to try it. Fresh blueberries were available at the farmer's market this weekend, yum.

7:14 AM, June 04, 2007

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

That looks so good - you can tell it has a butter in it. I just love the look of it's texture. But yes, it definitely needs more blueberries.

12:39 PM, June 04, 2007

 
Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

That should be 'you can tell it has butter in it ' - not 'a butter'. That's what I get for not hitting preview!

12:40 PM, June 04, 2007

 
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Wow! Lookin' GOOD!!!!!!

9:09 PM, June 06, 2007

 
Blogger Shaun said...

Randi - I first heard of boy bait when coming across it in a cookery book I had to review. My gay-scope went up, and I thought "Is this what I need to make to keep my man, or is this just what I would have to make if I were sadly single again?" I didn't want to try it, and I never told my angelheart Eric about it because I didn't want to give him any ideas about leaving me :-D Now I know what it looks like. Cheers!

2:23 AM, June 11, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Cook's Country and this recipe. Thanks for posting it. Mitchell

7:17 AM, June 11, 2007

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Randi!

Looks delicious! Nigella's got a blueberry boy bait in her How to be a Domestic Goddess book, which she says is also the one submitted for the Pillsbury recipe contest. Her one is a custard base topped with meringue though. I'll have to try both, hehe.

xox Sarah

8:13 PM, June 21, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I'm out in Hawai'i visiting my mom, and I wanted to make this cake, but the recipe is back in California. I've made it twice (I, too, get Cook's Country), and it's been a hit both times at family parties.

11:21 AM, June 23, 2007

 
Blogger kickpleat said...

that recipe looks great and the title can't be beat!!

11:09 AM, June 29, 2007

 
Blogger Jess said...

I love Cook's Country and Cook's Illustrated too! I found your blog from www.cookbookjunkie.com. I made this recipe yesterday, and my husband loved it :) I had trouble tasting because my mouth was numb from dental work, but what I could taste was simple and good. I think another blogger mentioned that too many blueberries weighs it down, but I can't remember if she actually tested that.

7:46 AM, August 05, 2015

 

Post a Comment

<< Home