Thursday, February 23, 2006

Spiced chicken thighs in Tomato broth w/ olives and chickepeas



First I have to say that I cooked 6 items yesterday. I love to cook but wow, that was a little too much. I was exhausted. Today is a new day and there is no rest for the weary because I have way more to cook today. The kicker is that we have to leave at 2pm for London because I have a dr appt. I'm getting an injection into my wrist joint so I dont know how much cooking I'd get done tonight. Thus, I'm trying to get it all done before we leave. Robin did say she'd help me tonight. She's a gem. She did 2hrs worth of dishes this morning.( thanks honey).

So, on to today's dish. I got this free trial of Cuisine at Home in the mail, I brought it over to client and she picked this. I cheered a bit because I knew I had everything but the thighs and those were on sale this week( 2.29lb). I think client will love this because they like really spicy foods and I tasted it and wow, it was spicy. Its an easy dish to make with very strong flavors.

First, you make a rub with paprika, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne.. You coat the thighs with this and let them sit for 5 min. Then you saute them until brown on both sides. Next you add some chopped onion, fresh ginger, garlic( I had to leave it out, client is allergic), red pepper flakes and cinnamon sticks. That cooks for a a couple minutes, then you deglaze with white wine and tomato paste. Throw in some chopped tomatoes( canned) chicken broth, canned chickpeas, kalamata olives( i used some green too) honey, lemon and bay leaf. Add the thighs and let simmer for 20 min. Finish with chopped fresh parsely. I also added some saffron with the onion mixture. The recipe suggest serving with Pita bread. I made some short grain brown rice( per clients request). I would have prefered serving with cous cous.

Btw, client called me last night and raved about the ribs, beans and coleslaw. YES!!

If you want the exact recipe for this chicken, let me know and I'll email it to you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your chicken dish sounds wonderful, perfect meal for a cold night. My only change would be to take out the kalamata olives...I've never been a fan of the flavor. Do you think plain black olives would be a good sub?

10:04 AM, February 23, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks great! Thanks for your comment by the way, I am going to have fun looking through your posts.

11:12 AM, February 23, 2006

 
Blogger Joe said...

Hey Randi!

I like the template change!

7:12 PM, February 23, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the new look!

4:51 AM, February 24, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home