Saturday, November 17, 2007

Zingerman's Buenos Aires Brownies .....




I now know why I've never really cared for brownies. It's because I've never had a great brownie made with great chocolate. If you're on the fence about brownies, or you really love brownies, this is the recipe for you. I was in Ann Arbor for a few days this week and of course I had to visit Zingerman's. I actually went to a hard candy tasting held on Wednesday night. I was looking around the shop after the class and I toyed with the idea of bringing back a brownie for Robin. I then remembered that I had the recipe in an old issue of Midwest Living Magazine. I dug it out yesterday along with some unsweetened Callebaut that The Chocolate Doctor sent me. I also used a new 9 x 13 pan I picked up at Williams Sonoma. I took a bit of liberty with the recipe( the original recipe is for their magic brownies. These brownies contain walnuts). I've never liked nuts in brownies, so I dolloped dulce de leche on top of the batter and swirled it through. I ended up with the Buneos Aries Brownies. Try these, you won't be dissapointed.

Magic Brownies

13 tbls butter( no substitutes)
6.5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1.5 c. sifted cake flour( I used white Lily)
3/4tsp baking powder( most brownie recipes have no levening in them, maybe this is why they were so good)

1/2tsp salt
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 c. toasted walnuts( chopped)

Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Melt butter and choc. together over low heat. Set aside. In small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. In large mixing bowl( I used my KA), beat eggs and sugar for 5 min. Add cooled choc. mixture and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined. Add flour mixture, beat again. Pour in pan, bake in 325F oven for 30 min( I used convection). Cool in pan on wire rack.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randi, its Nathan from Hull Road. Have you ever heard of Texas brownies? My mom used to make them (I'll have to search for the recipe) But the thing I remember about them was a couple of tablespoons of strong coffee added to the batter and the icing... basically making mocha icing... and the batter was very moist YUM...

3:30 PM, November 18, 2007

 
Blogger Rachael Narins said...

oOOH...Zingermans. Lucky you!

Those look SO good. I cant make a good brownie to save my life.

6:56 AM, December 01, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder! I'm definitely going to make these for bake-sale.

7:24 AM, April 22, 2008

 
Blogger stacey said...

So I made these this weekend but I think I added too much dulce de leche as I can barely get them out of the pan, and have to use a fork instead.
how much did you use? It was tasty, though!

9:13 AM, April 28, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home