Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Brunch......








Working is really cramping my blogging style. The LAST thing I want to do when I get home from work is cook a meal. Last week I worked Friday-Monday( NY DAY) preparing for the big New Year's day brunch we serve at work. On Friday we also prepared food for a dinner party and on New Year's Day we made even more food for another clients's own private brunch. I was soley responsible for numerous items on this brunch. I prepared all of the Jewish food using my mom's recipe for cheese blintzes and her recipe for chopped liver( gag). I also made rugelach and potato latkas. Additionally I prepared black magic cupcakes and we planned on yeasted waffles, but we ran out of milk on New Year's eve and no stores were open so those waffles became plain waffles.

I really didnt think the Jewish food would go over as well as it did, but people were raving about it. I won't touch the chopped liver with a ten foot pole, but my boss said it was fabulous. We even bought Matzah to serve with it. I only wish my mom was here to taste everything. Those blintzes were so labor intensive. I now know why I request those from my mom when I go back to Florida. I had some trouble with the crepe part until I read another recipe for Blintzes from The Joy of Cooking and saw that the batter needed to rest. My mom left that part out.

I made a really wonderful mixed berry sauce to serve with them. My boss was surprised when I informed her that the blintzes needed to be pan sauteed in butter since that is what my mom always did. She assumed once they were made, that was it. I also made homeade apple sauce to go with the latkas. My boss uses a recipe for chinese latkas( using cornstarch) and she said she thought mine were better. I also made 5 huge batches of wild mushroom risotto. I pre-cooked it the day before and finished it off the morning of the brunch. We had a lot leftover which will make wonderful arrancini( risotto balls).


Some of the other items on the brunch that I did not make were; Macaroni and cheese, creamed spinach, seafood casserole, parmesean chicken, prime rib, roasted vegetables, spinach salad, lemon raspberry trifle, caramel pot de creme, rice pudding and black olive tapenade.

I was so exhausted on Monday that I slept for almost 12 hours. In fact, I'm still tired!! Thankfully, I don't have to work for the caterer again until the end of January. However, I start a new job on Jan 11th cooking for 50 seniors twice a month. That will be an experience for sure.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I love chopped liver and I'm not even Jewish. My BIL's family makes it. They're not Jewish either but they make it (they're from Long Island, maybe that's it - there are more Jewish people there than in this area). Last time I had it, BIL's father, who is in his 80s made it. His wife used to make it but she passed away a few months before that so I thought it was sweet that he made it, using her recipe.

7:56 AM, January 03, 2007

 
Blogger wheresmymind said...

I'm with ya...no chopped liver for this monkay!

9:46 AM, January 03, 2007

 
Blogger Joy Bugaloo said...

I hate liver in all its forms, but when I visited my (Jewish) friend in Miami Beach for spring break two years ago, she took me to this upscale deli and gourmet foods store called Epicure. We bought some of their chopped liver along with other cold cuts and stuff for a sandwich night. Well, I must say, that stuff was DELISH! Of course, it was as much hard-cooked egg and onion as liver, but it was just divine. So...never say never!

10:56 AM, January 04, 2007

 
Blogger kyooty said...

What is the one in the Silver bowl? (I'm sure that sounds like I'm clueless but I'm curious)

6:50 AM, January 05, 2007

 
Blogger Randi said...

The silver chafing dish holds the blitnzes

9:43 AM, January 05, 2007

 
Blogger Horowitz said...

Mazel TOV!

I never make blintzes anymore, I just buy them from the Jewish deli I used to work at.
I still make latkes and gefilte fish, but have never made my own chopped liver....one day maybe.

Happy New Year,

Peter
www.breakfastblogger.com

11:54 AM, January 06, 2007

 
Blogger Joy Bugaloo said...

Hey, I found a recipe for Epicure's chopped liver online, and I made some yesterday. It's really good. --Gina

Epicure Chopped Liver
Yield: 8 servings (The recipe below is halved, and it still made a lot!)

1 lb chicken livers
3/4 tbl salt
2 1/2 oz chicken fat
1 lb onions, sliced thin (about 3 cups)
1/4 cup rich chicken stock
4 lrg hard-boiled eggs, crumbled
1/2 tbl salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 cup honey

Place the chicken livers in a heavy saucepan with just enough water to cover. (I used stock.)

Stir in the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until livers are firm, about 5 minutes. Drain; blot dry on an absorbent towel.

In a large saute pan, warm the chicken fat over medium-high heat until it liquefies (about 300 degrees). Add the onions and saute until soft and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken livers and cook 1 minute more. Add the chicken stock and stir to deglaze the pan.

Remove from heat and stir in the eggs, salt, pepper and honey. Toss gently and cool. Push through the fine sieve of a meat grinder, or use a food processor, pulsing on and off until desired consistency is reached.

12:24 PM, January 11, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home