Friday, September 15, 2006

Tofu and veggie stir-fry........



In an effort to eat at least 1 vegetarian meal per week, I picked up a block of firm tofu. There is one grocery store in London that sells tofu for the ridiculously low price of $1.35. I wanted to make the tofu crispy, but I didnt want to deep fry it. I thought I would dip it in egg and then panko and fry it up. That didnt work so well. I also though I wouldnt add it to the sauce so it would stay crispy, so I placed it on top of the stir-fry. That didnt work either, because it was really bland. Duh, I should have remembered that tofu soaks up other flavors. I also made a light( too light) sauce for the veggies. I used some sherry, orange juice( light), soy( light), orange peel, hoisen, ginger and garlic. The sauce was a little too light in taste( read: Bland). We did eat it with some short grain brown rice( my favorite kind of brown rice). Next time, I'll stick to a recipe for the sauce and I'll throw the tofu in so it can soak up all the yummy flavors.

3 Comments:

Blogger Foodmomiac said...

Tofu is tough in stir fries, because it really tastes best when deep fried. Have you tried tempeh? If you steam it first for seven minutes, before cooking, it is delicious. I make a Moroccan tempeh that everyone loves. Email if you want the recipe.

6:31 PM, September 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which store in London was is? How can I find it? Please let me know if you can. My email is:
rt228@exeter.ac.uk

Thank you

12:24 PM, April 11, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry you do mean London UK right?

12:29 PM, April 11, 2008

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home