Monday, September 08, 2008

symphony brownies.....





I feel kinda stupid posting this "recipe" because its not really a recipe and its so simple. We had a baby shower to attend 2 weeks ago, so I whipped these up( along with muffaletta sandwiches) the night before. Just use your favorite brownie recipe for an 9 inch square pan( or a mix which is what I did). Ghiradelli makes a great mix, but its not sold in Canada. I used a Duncan Hines family size 9 x 13 mix, but baked it in a 9 x 9 square pan( so they're thicker). I subbed out coffee for the water and part almond oil for some of the canola oil. You could even use melted butter instead of oil.

Pour out half your batter and then layer in 2 family size Hershey Symphony Chocolate bars( I dont know if they're sold in Canada, I bought them for 1.00 each at Walgreen's in MI). In the picture above, you see a little square of chocolate missing. I took a little taste. Symphony comes in two flavors. Plain and an almond toffee. You want to use the almond toffee so you gets bits of both of those flavors. Pour the other half of the batter over the top and bake as directed. I refridgerated them overnight for easing cutting. They were polished off within a matter of minutes. They're really good and super easy.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Patsyk said...

Those look delicious! I love ideas on how to "dress up" box mixes. Sometimes you don't have time to make it from scratch, but with a little imagination you can make something amazing from a mix.

10:22 AM, September 08, 2008

 
Blogger Heather said...

Gees! Now I have the urge to make brownies. You should always post things like this.

6:03 PM, September 08, 2008

 
Blogger Debbie said...

The brownies look delicious. What a great idea on adding something different to a box mix. Thanks!

3:57 AM, September 09, 2008

 
Blogger Sara said...

These look really good, I love symphony bars. There's a bakery around here that sells brownies with toffee in the middle, it's a similar concept.

7:15 AM, September 09, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are probably better than the ones I made yesterday.

5:38 AM, September 10, 2008

 
Blogger Doddie said...

Dear Randi,

Thanks for leaving a nice note on my blog. I miss eGullet too and have been a little too busy thses days. I promis to pop in sometime. Love the brownie recipe, will see if I can bake that this week.

Doddie

9:31 AM, September 15, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chocolate + more chocolate = yes, please.

8:52 AM, September 18, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come you always make stuff look so great and easy? I have a request for brownies from some kids at a homeless shelter where my assistant is a volunteer. I would need to make 2 pans (9 x 13) each to have enough for all the kids there :(

Do you think that the recipe would be OK if I just multiplied it x 2 in each 9 x 13 pan?

KBJESQ

6:42 AM, September 23, 2008

 
Blogger Randi said...

Yes, double it. I just wanted them thick so I used a 9inch pan. I used a family size( 9x 13) mix, you can double that or make them thinner.

6:51 AM, September 23, 2008

 
Blogger How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Thanks for the advice about The Spice House! I'll check out their site.

5:18 PM, September 28, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home